yum gone crazy

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jul 8 15:42:10 UTC 2006

At 10:22 AM +0930 7/8/06, Tim wrote:

>If some scripting were involved in presenting the data to the yum
>client, rather than it just HTTP fetching the repo file, it would be
>doable.
>
>For instance, the following HTTP response code:
>
>10.5.4 503 Service Unavailable

I think it could be smoother than that.  I think the update could be
"atomic", if the operations were done in the correct order:  mirror fetches
repomd.xml and notices that it's new, fetches the rest of the repodata,
fetches and installs new files, installs repodata files, installs
repomd.xml, waits an hour, removes old files.  The last is so that clients
that have started an update don't get left hanging.  I hope to attempt
something along these lines "soon".