Where can I find this firmware file?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jul 9 03:23:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 22:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 11:11 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Am I upset?, yes.  Apparently support for ndiswrapper has been removed,
> >
> > Removed from what? I have ndiswrapper running fine on my FC5 laptop with
> > that crappy Broadcom radio. Came straight from the rpm.livna.org
> > with "yum install ndiswrapper". If it is not available for
> > FC4 I guess you could download the latest SRPM from that site and
> > rebuild it yourself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Patrick
>
> In FC5, they've a new version of the driver in the latest kernels now,
> and we are supposed to be able to make it work with the help of this
> bcm43xx-fwcutter utility, so there are apparently no new
> kmod-ndiswrapper modules for the newer kernels being made.  Hasn't been
> one since 2133 TBE.

	Nonsense...  Pure and utter nonsense.

[root at canyon ~]# yum list | grep ndiswrapper
kmod-ndiswrapper.i686                    1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2145_F installed
kmod-ndiswrapper.i686                    1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2139_F installed
ndiswrapper.i386                         1.18-1.lvn5            installed
kmod-ndiswrapper.i586                    1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2145_F livna
kmod-ndiswrapper-kdump.i686              1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2145_F livna
kmod-ndiswrapper-smp.i586                1.13-4.2.6.16_1.2133_F livna
kmod-ndiswrapper-smp.i686                1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2145_F livna
kmod-ndiswrapper-xen0.i686               1.13-4.2.6.16_1.2133_F livna

	Looks like there are 2133 and 2145 out there right now, and have been.
Half the damn mirrors don't even have the 2154 kernel yet, so I don't
expect Livna to be caught up yet.

	Also...  The ndiswrapper driver is NOT just for the fscking Broadcom
drivers.  It's a generic driver wrapper so, even when the bcm34xx driver
is half way stable, it will still be available for other NDIS based
Winblows drivers.

> I followed the procedure thats supposed to make it work, but all I got
> for my trouble was a lockup, complete and total, and it cost me several
> hours and a boot to the ubuntu live cd to effect a transfer back to an
> external radio via an ethernet cable.   I keep waiting, and running
> yumex 2-3x a day, hoping we'll get a new kmod-ntfs for the last 2

	kmod-ntfs has jack to do with this thread.  It had no relationship with
ndiswrapper.  Why bring that up?  (Besides which, all of my kmod-ntfs is
up to date - what's YOUR problem?)

> kernels, but as of this morning, zip, nada, nothing.

	I've been less than happy with the built-in bcm43xx drivers, so far.
They work in many simple cases with limited access points (APs).  In
some cases, I've been flooded with "associated requests" and "associate
timeouts" and various random acts of terrorism, especially where there
are multiplex APs with various parameters.  The damn driver spams the
shit out of syslog with multiple messages.  In those cases, I've been
able to unload the bcm43xx drivers and associated drivers and then load
the ndiswrapper with the appropriate firmware just fine.

	When that driver doesn't work, I've run this...

for i in bcm43xx ieee80211softmac ieee80211 ieee80211_crypt ; do
rmmod $i
done
modprobe ndiswrapper

	And away we go...  All works cool...

	Ndiswrapper is NOT going away even if we have a PERFECT bcm43xx driver
and 80211 protocol stack.  There's just always going to be some drivers
we need that shim for.  Even as a backup.

> --
> Cheers, Gene

	Mike