What happened to /dev/fd0 in FC5 ??

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jul 9 18:54:19 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 19:51, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I haven't used the floppy since I upgraded to FC5 but I just went to do
> something and it doesn't exist!  I googled around and it seems that FC5
> does not install the floppy device?  I tried using:
>
>  mknod /dev/fd0 b 2 0
>
> but although the device was created, when I try and use dd to put an
> image on the floppy I get:
>
>  dd: opening `/dev/fd0': No such device or address
>
> What is going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
> GPO Box 3411
> Sydney NSW      2001
> Australia
> Mobile:  +61:(0)411-185-652
> Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599
> E-mail:  phil at pricom.com.au

I had the same problem, and did the following.

# mkdir /media/floppy

then added the floppy entry to /etc/fstab as below.

/dev/fd0      /media/floppy       auto       noauto,owner      0  0

There's a problem in that FC5 has removed all removable devices from fstab. A
cdrom, writer, or dvd drive seem to work ok, but I don't like the way this is
done now. Unfortunately the floppy drive doesn't want to play with this new
idea.

Nigel.