yum db lossage

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200607 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Mon Jul 10 04:44:03 UTC 2006

The yum db just killed itself on my x86_64 fc5 box.

   [root at arbol ~]# yum list
   rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
   error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run data
   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30977)

I then found some advice via google to rebuild the db so I did:

	/bin/rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
	rpm --initdb
	rpm --rebuilddb
        chown rpm:rpm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*

That sort of got things hobbling along, but now livna doesn't work.

     ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/Null/x86_64g/repodata/repomd.xml

It looks like the "fc5" that goes between "fedora" and "x86_64" is
missing.  I take it some part of the db didn't get totally rebuilt?
Do I need to somehow stuff the "fc5" release name into the db by hand?

-wolfgang