yum db lossage

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200607 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Mon Jul 10 13:56:32 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> writes:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> 	/bin/rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
>> 	rpm --initdb
>> 	rpm --rebuilddb
>>         chown rpm:rpm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
>
> Is your fedora-release package still OK?
>
> $ rpm -qi fedora-release

     [root at arbol ~]# rpm -qi fedora-release
     package fedora-release is not installed

How do I recreate that?  Is there any other data I need to initialize
the database with?

BTW. "yum -C list" does show 5736 lines of packages, 661 marked as
installed.  The "rpm --rebuild" did pick up the information from the
real packages.

  [root at arbol ~]# yum -C list
  Setting up repositories
  Installed Packages
  ImageMagick.i386                         6.2.5.4-4.2.1.fc5.3    installed
  ImageMagick.x86_64                       6.2.5.4-4.2.1.fc5.3    installed
  MAKEDEV.x86_64                           3.21-3                 installed
  NetworkManager-glib.x86_64               0.6.3-1.fc5            installed
  ORBit2.x86_64                            2.14.0-1               installed
  PyXML.x86_64                             0.8.4-3.2.2            installed

Just For the record, and the most disconcerting part, was that nothing
out of the ordinary happened just before the yum db trashed itself.  I
had just finined a "yum update" "shutdown -r now" and after they
machine rebooted I tried to do a "yum list > yum-list.txt" so I would
have a snapshot of what I had installed and what was available.

Does the db use a server that might have been updating the db file
when I rebooted?

-wolfgang