Speaking of fonts...

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:59:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 21:46 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> 52 DPI?!?  What font size do you actually use?  I don't imagine that
>> you'd
>> be able to realistically use, say, 8-point type at that resolution.
>
> I just lie and tell it I've got 96dpi and from where I sit, things are
> about right :-).

Well, sure.  But if you measure your "8-point" characters, you'll find
that they aren't 8 points high, either--more like 15 points.

You might try setting DPI correctly, choosing a font size about double
your current choice (or a point less) and letting the font engine do the
scaling.  I'd be interested in how you find the results compared to your
current settings.  They will (in theory) at least better approximate what
the font designer had in mind.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences