problem in configuring squid transparent proxy on FC3

Ankush Grover ankush174 at
Tue Jul 11 11:28:49 UTC 2006

hey friends,

I am trying to configure Squid Transparent Proxy on FC3. I am testing
the scenario on 2 machines. The FC3 machines has got 2 lan cards

Another machine is having only one LAN Card

I added these lines for transparent proxy in squid.conf
http_port 3128  (by default)
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

I have also added these lines to squid.conf

acl mynetwork src
acl mynetwork1 src
http_access allow mynetwork
http_access allow mynetwork1

Configured iptables to redirect the request to the proxy from the
domain to port 3128

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -s -p tcp --dport
80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

But when I gave the below command to list the iptables rules there was
no rules added to the iptables

iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I saved and restart iptables many times even flushed the iptables few
times and again added the NAT rule but everytime iptables -L shows
empty rules.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface     *        U     0      0        0 eth1     *        U     0      0        0 eth0     *          U     0      0        0 eth1
default         UG    0      0        0 eth0

lsmod   command output
Module                  Size  Used by
ipt_REDIRECT            2113  20
iptable_nat            23037  2 ipt_REDIRECT
ip_conntrack           40565  1 iptable_nat
iptable_filter          2753  0
ip_tables              16705  3 ipt_REDIRECT,iptable_nat,iptable_filter

I am able to ping from to There is one
more problem I am not able to ssh onto another server (FC3)  from the
squid server.

ssh -l tester
Received disconnect from 2: Too many authentication
failures for tester

As this is the testing scenario only 2 machines are in domain ( one machine running windows xp and other is FC3 with 2
lan cards and I am using these machines for testing squid transparent
proxy ) all other machines in the network are in the domain so I should be able to ssh onto the machine
as the LAN Card eth0 on FC3 machine ( is connected to
the network

Please guide me what wrong I am doing ?

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover