FC6t1 networking problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 18:39:22 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 12:39, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've installed FC6t1 on an old laptop that uses a Netgear FA411 PCMCIA
> ethernet card.  After the install I could not get the network up at all.
> The network configuration gui showed the hardware as pcnet_cs.  Eventually
> I gave up and rebooted.  After that I found that the configuration gui
> correctly described it as a Netgear card, and the LAN was working.
>
> This morning I can't get it working again.  system-config-network is
> correctly showing the Netgear setting, but lsmod shows pcnet_cs, so I
> presume the wrong driver is being loaded at bootup.  How can I tackle this?

Quoting another thread -

If you ask a question and don't get an answer, then it's likely you're not
doing it right.

OK - maybe I asked the wrong question.

http://www.fdlinux.com/networkcompat.html#Version3 tells me that the NetGear
FA411 Fast Ethernet card is supported by pcnet_cs.o, as is NE2000 Compatible
Fast Ethernet which is what I can see in syslog.

modprobe pcnet_cs gives

FATAL: error inserting pcnet_cs
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2289_FC6/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg complains that the unknown parameter is irq.  I removed the irq and
resource settings from system-config-network.  Still only lo.  Now, however,
ifconfig -a shows entries for eth0 (complete with irq 3 and base address
0x3000, lo and sit0.

Still, calling 'ifup eth0' tells me that '/sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0
not found'.

I repeat that last night I did manage to contact the LAN briefly, just before
switching off for the night.

What else can I try?

Anne