[solved] Re: stuck on "Enter runlevel:" after update

BB Cao pearlsmm at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 02:32:36 UTC 2006

Just think it might be helpful for other hypothetical newbies like myself.

I rebooted the system with the rescue CD. (Actually, I mysteriously failed to boot even on the rescue CD several times before finally got there.)
I then created a file named inittab by copying  from inittab.rpmsave,  both files are at /etc.
And it works.

Best,
 BC

BB Cao <pearlsmm at yahoo.com> wrote: Dear All,

  I updated my FC5 with "yum -y update". It was completely successful.  Then I updated the NTFS package since the kernel is  updated(2.6.17-1.2145_FC5). After everything was OK, I tried to reboot  the machine. It didn't reboot and stucked. So, I mannually powered off  and reboot. Now, I am stucking on "Enter runlevel:", I tried 1,2,3, it  always responsed with something like
  "INIT: Entering runlevel: 3"
  "INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel"

  And freezed there. If I typed "s" instead of any number, I can get in a  sh shell, and it seems that everything works except the X-window. What  can I do to get everything back? Thanks!

  Best,
   B.C.