grub proposal

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 12 13:31:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 22:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 07:56 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > After some bad experiences in FC5, I propose to
> > make /boot/grub/grub.conf a link to /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > (I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst, but this had no effect until
> > removing /boot/grub/grub.conf and linking it to /boot/grub/menu.lst).
>
> And, like the others, it's also already like that for FC4

To my surprise I found that the above statement is true. Could someone explain why we need

/boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/grub.conf both as soft links
to  /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Was this created by the "Department of Redundancy Department? :-)

This was the ultimate form of ostentation among technology freaks -- to
have a system so complete and sophisticated that nothing showed; no
machines, no wires, no controls. - Michael Swanwick, "Vacuum Flowers"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net