New article: Installing Linux remotely

Phil Meyer pmeyer at
Wed Jul 12 22:34:04 UTC 2006

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wrote an article on how to install Linux remotely using Fedora Core
> 5/OpenSuse 10.1. I'm sure any other modern Linux distro can do this also.
> This is the excerpt:
> One of the feature of Linux that I admire most is it's ability to be installed
> remotely. Meaning? Yes, we can install it from a different location, either
> it is from a different floor, different building, different city, or even
> different country. This is most useful for a corporate with many branches but
> limited IT staffs.
> Read the full article at:
> Regards,
Another method to install a remote system with no interaction is to copy
over a vmlinuz and initrd image from the boot CD you would normally
install from to the target system /boot directory prior to the

Assume you want to upgrade a FC4 server to FC5 remotely and with no
interaction.  Then edit the /etc/grub.conf like so:

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
title load
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz text ramdisk_size=8192
        initrd /initrd.img

Making the 'load' entry the default.  Now simply reboot the remote
server and it can install itself with no interaction.  This assumes that
the cgi produces a well crafted kickstart configuration script.