iPod hfsplus that used to work on FC4 doesn't mount on FC5...

Vini Engel vini at fugspbr.org
Wed Jul 12 23:20:23 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson said the following on 13/07/06 01:41:
> At 11:14 AM +1000 7/12/06, Vini Engel wrote:
>>I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what has changed in
>>the kernel since FC4. I used to be able to mount my very same iPod mini
>>(hfsplus) on my FC4 but cannot mount it on my FC5 because it says that
>>hfs with journaling is not supported...
>>
>>That doesn't make sense to me, is it some kind of regression on the
>>hfsplus driver?
>>
>>The solution that I found is to turn the journaling off.
>>
>>If any one would like to comment on that it will be appreciated!
>

> WAG: the filesystem driver now notices journalling, and knows that it can't
> handle it, where previously it didn't notice, and just trampled over it?

That makes sense, although you used the word trampled - in the past when
using FC4 I had no problems mounting my ipod. Never blew the FS up...

Now running FC5 I did blow the FS up when forcing it to mount in RW
mode, the only option I had was to turn the journaling off using a MAC.

Now it is all good!

Vini