[solved] Re: stuck on "Enter runlevel:" after update

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 13 00:26:04 UTC 2006

BB Cao wrote:
> Just think it might be helpful for other hypothetical newbies like myself.
>
> I rebooted the system with the rescue CD. (Actually, I mysteriously
> failed to boot even on the rescue CD several times before finally got
> there.)
> I then created a file named inittab by copying  from inittab.rpmsave,
> both files are at /etc.
> And it works.
>
> Best,
>  BC

This problem seems to be caused by yum removing packages before
upgrading. Saving the important files as .rpmsave instead of how it
should update. Reports showed that this happened mostly when doing
updates which also pull in the kernel.

What should happen is no package should be marked as remove. The package
should only be updated followed by a cleanup. This was brought to my
realization in the thread reference from the test list.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-July/msg00152.html

I'm running development and am not seeing this problem. I did comment on
it and was enlightened by members from the list that are referenced in
the thread.

I'd run
rpm -qV initscripts
on that package in order to see if any other items are missing or
improperly renamed from the package.

Jim

--
"Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense."