Coax yum list updates to report full file names

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 13 00:42:19 UTC 2006

I run rawhide at home, but my network connection is only a 256/128 DSL.
This makes large yum updates (like today's 385ish MB behemoth) rather
lengthy.  OTOH, I have an OC-48 network connection at work, with a
Cygwin installation on my office PC.

What I'd like to do is generate a list of properly formatted filenames
from the yum list updates command on the rawhide machine, then take that
list to work and feed it to a script that wgets each file from a mirror
over the OC-48 connection.  Then I can just dump the files to a thumb
drive and do the update from it when I get home.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to coax yum into spitting out the full
filename of a needed rpm.  The filename I want gets written into the yum
cache headers directory -- albeit with a .hdr extension -- but it
doesn't get written to stdout without clutter.  The manpage doesn't seem
to offer a method to format the output of the yum list updates command,
unless I'm not understanding what I've read, and I can't find a plugin
at Duke that does this.

It would be really nice if I could pass yum a format argument, like:
yum --format=rpmname list updates

I'd expect this command to return, for example,
gdm-2.15.5-3.1.x86_64.rpm

Instead of the current (sans the --format arg)
gdm.x86_64     1:2.15.5-3.1     development

Has someone already cracked this nut?

Thanks,
Jay