AIGLX compared with Novell XGL

Rahul sundaram at
Thu Jul 13 02:24:42 UTC 2006

Albert Graham wrote:
> Hi Trond,
> I would like to hear your thoughts on the Novell version of XGL as shown
> in this cool google video:
> Is the Fedora version anywhere as advanced as this ?, the last time I
> tried it, it really screwed up my configuration and it took a lot of
> yuming to fix.

  ... which is the reason it wasnt installed by default and marked
experimental. Anyway you are seeing Compiz which is a window manager
that provides the whiz bang effects and confusing that with the
underlying framework. Metacity has a compositing manager with similar
effects and Compiz can run on AIGLX too.

As I said earlier AIGLX is part of Xorg 7.1 and easily enabled now.

More information on what all this means is available at

> For me, watching this video make me feel really jealous,  However, I
> agree with the Fedora development approach on the GLX issues but, Novel
> have all this candy "in the here and now", and I think that makes a big
> difference, are we talking Fedora 10 ?

Xorg 7.1 will be part of Fedora Core 6.