yum vs apt-get

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:46:02 UTC 2006

I would like to know why was yum choosen to be distributed in fedora instead
of apt-get. I started with apt-get before knowing yum existed and was
actually delivered with my dist. When I gave yum a try, I was disappointed.
Its verrry slooow, and it seems not to be doing much more. I've read from
kde-redhat maintainer apt-get is no longer developped, but other than that,
what are the main differences between the two tools?

I don't want to start passionnate debate here. I simply want to understand
yum better and the reasons motivating the choice of a tool over another.