Looking for a laptop

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Fri Jul 14 04:16:39 UTC 2006

> Matt, any pointers or advice on getting suspend working on some Dell
> hardware?  I've got an Inspiron 9400/E1705 and suspend is one of the
> few features that I've never had working.  I've got FC5 on this now.
> It'll suspend, but it never wakes back up properly.  :)

I've got an Inspiron 8200, and FC5 is definitely a regression... The things
i found to be annoying are:

1) suspend works, but only if i hit the suspend icon, closing the
lid (even when properly preferenced) doesn't seem to properly wake
it up.

2) The screensaver seems to have a mind of its own (even screensaving
in the middle of my work).

3) X sometimes goes into a bizarre screwed pattern, I have to
ctrl-alt-F1 ctrl-alt-F7 to get X back.
    [this is still without the nvidia driver]

4) Upon un-suspend, the network connection doesn't automatically pick up where
it left off, where FC4 did this flawless (meaning, if i was on wired, it would
simply re-run dhcp and transparently move me between home and work). In FC5 i
have to manually drop the line, and bring it up again. In FC4 it remembered
if i was on wired or wireless and simply re-initialize that one. Very nice
feature.

On the other hand, there are many good things about FC5 too. in FC4 i lost the
microphone after suspend, that seems to work now. And probably a few more
things.

peter