possible to lighten blue color in bash shell ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 14 06:13:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:29 +0800, Man-Chi Leung wrote:
> I changed DIR change from blue to yellow. it looks much better now.
>
> but do u have a complete list of all color codes?
>
> # Text color codes:
> # 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan
> 37=white

That's the lot - eight colours (if you include black and white in the
count), plus bright/dark variations of each, making 16 combinations to
play with.  And there's inverse modes, where you can select background
colours.

The DIR_COLORS file gives you what you've got to choose from, the list
of foreground colour codes, background colour codes, and the style
variations.

e.g. 01=bold, 31=red foreground, 43=yellow background, put together as a
string like 01;31;43 combines them altogether.

It's based on the old digital RGB+I video systems (16 colours), using
ANSI codes (like on BBSs) to pick which colours to use.

You do realise that if you use something like Gnome terminal that you
can redefine the colours.  e.g. You can make the blue paler.

I read messages from the public lists.