Checking the integrity of the file system

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 14 16:10:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Rahul wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Paul Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Eric. I have just run the command 'shutdown -rF now'. How can
>>> I now check whether my file system is not corrupted? The point is that
>>> I do not see the result of  'shutdown -rF now'...
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> Thats a root only command for starters, and it should have made the machine
>> reboot, during which the fsck on the file systems would have been done,
>> however you may have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to remove the 'rhgb' from
>> the kernels boot command line before you would see anything because it
>> would otherwise be hid behind a graphic and all you would see is a longer
>> bootup time.  rhgb is the work of somebody trying to make it more like a
>> (spit) windows experience.  Its a bad idea.  We want to KNOW what its doing
>> while booting.
>>

> RHGB falls back to text mode on any warnings or error messages including fsck
> process. So your comment is misleading.

And you can always open the message window with a mouse click if you want.
(Can't do *that* with Windows!)

Some of us appreciate a little polish and don't think everything that
provides it exists merely to imitate Windows.  Frankly, I've booted
enought times that I do know what its doing, unless it does something
strange--in which case the text window opens.  If you feel the need to
watch every boot obsessively, you probably know enough to edit
/etc/grub.conf and make it behave the way you like.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu