DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Jul 14 17:02:45 UTC 2006

At 4:05 PM +0200 7/14/06, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>The slash is there to distinguish between O and 0 in the monospace font.
>It's an explicit requirement for a font which may be used in terminals,
>software IDEs and other technical contexts.

oOØ0ø

OK, which are which?

It's well known already that slash does not distinguish between Oh and
Zero, because of the Slashed Oh (U+00D8 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE)
used in Europe.

>In non-monospace families it's possible to get without it, since O is
>then wider than 0. In monospace it's the only possible choice.

It's not the only possible choice.  My hack has been to put a dot in the
upper-right of a Zero.  It still looks like a Zero, but permits
disambiguation with Oh when needed.  No one else likes that hack, but it's
certainly possible.

>I suspect 0 was one of the most audited glyphs when Vera was originally
>released, as many monospace fonts are totally unusable for tech-speak
>because they don't distinguish 0 and O (and applications do care about
>the difference)

Keep on trying.  If a Zero looks like an Oh, at least people know to watch
out, but if it looks like a Slashed Oh or Eight, then they're just going to
be misled.