Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:47:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:08 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > RT3 interacts very well with email and it is now packaged in fedora
> > extras so it shouldn't be difficult to install.
> It's in FE for > 1/2 year, and haven't receive _any_ PRs on it since
> then nor complaints about configuring it since then.

Are you sure anyone is actually using it?  It is ordinarily a complex
beast to integrate into your web server and email system and having
90% of the work done by packaging doesn't help without some clear
documentation of what is done, if any parts have been relocated in
packaging, and what still needs to be done for the local setup.

> >   I haven't used that
> > version myself so I'm not sure what you have to do to set up the
> > web service and email aliases.
> You'll normally have to set up a database (default: mysql), a web-server
> and an email alias. This all is straight forward and shouldn't be much
> effort.
>
> The real effort is in configuring rt3 in for personal purposes (defining
> "roles", implementing GUI candy etc.). This can easily become
> non-trivial.

I've normally used mod_auth_pam in httpd so system passwords work, then
added users to groups and set up group permissions on the RT queues
with the queues based on the people who would be watching them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com