DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

Alan M. Evans ame1 at extratech.com
Fri Jul 14 19:05:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 11:41, Albert Graham wrote:
> The bottom line for me is I cannot use this font, because it lets subtle
> differences slip by me, I sit about 1 arms length from my 21in CRT
> monitor (as I have done for the last 25 years) and I just never had a
> problem before now.
>
> I understand that technically you  have to do things "technically
> correct" but, I'm a human, not a text scanner and that should be taken
> into consideration. It really sounds to me like this is a case of the
> "specifications" rather then actual real world which we all live in.

I live in this same world, and for what it's worth, I have no trouble at
all distinguishing zero and eight on my 19 inch LCD that I sit an
arm-and-a-half from. My settings specify 10 pt but I also had no trouble
with 14 pt as you use.

I'm not trying to suggest that you don't have a problem with it. I
really believe that you do. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us do
or even that most of the rest of us do. So your characterization of
"our" rationale being specification driven rather than human factors
driven is not necessarily on the mark.

> I suggest that you enable it as default in FC6 as  you plan, but I
> reckon it'll be complete gone by FC7, because this forum is going to be
> full of support requests that result in "Oh that's a typo, you idiot"
>
> Apart from this one show stopper (for me), I really do like the font.

I for one would have welcomed some sort of screen shot from your system
that you believe to show the illegible type. Perhaps your DPI settings
or something are messing with the rendering. Or maybe you have a fuzzy
CRT. Or maybe you're blind as a bat...[1] In any case, there *are* other
explainations than that we don't care about human factors.

-Alan

---------
[1]That was meant to be funny.