Open files from network on FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 15 02:14:17 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 11:39 +0930, Tim wrote:
> I would think the same situation would apply (whether it was Nautilus or
> Konqueror).  Not everything can access a file via a SMB type of URI.
> Even some Windows applications can't, you have to map it to a drive
> letter.
>
> Clicking on some SMB://server/file.doc file in a file browser and hoping
> that some other application, that can't directly open a file through the
> SMB:// protocol, isn't going to work.  You'd only expect that to work if
> the application's own open-file dialogue supports the SMB:// protocol.
> Last time I tried KDE, the few things I tried it with didn't.

The hint about understanding this, is when you try and open a file in a
file browser, which will actually be opened in an external application,
is that the file browser doesn't pass the file to the application, it
passes the filepath to the application (the file's address), and that
application opens the file itself.  It's got to be an addressing scheme
that the application supports.

I read messages from the public lists.