Open files from network on FC5

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 09:49:41 UTC 2006

On 7/15/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 11:39 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > I would think the same situation would apply (whether it was Nautilus or
> > Konqueror).  Not everything can access a file via a SMB type of URI.
> > Even some Windows applications can't, you have to map it to a drive
> > letter.
> >
> > Clicking on some SMB://server/file.doc file in a file browser and hoping
> > that some other application, that can't directly open a file through the
> > SMB:// protocol, isn't going to work.  You'd only expect that to work if
> > the application's own open-file dialogue supports the SMB:// protocol.
> > Last time I tried KDE, the few things I tried it with didn't.
>
> The hint about understanding this, is when you try and open a file in a
> file browser, which will actually be opened in an external application,
> is that the file browser doesn't pass the file to the application, it
> passes the filepath to the application (the file's address), and that
> application opens the file itself.  It's got to be an addressing scheme
> that the application supports.
>
> --
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

> --

If Gnome and Kde would stop using their own implementations (f.ex.
gnome-vfs) and instead just provide a wrapper around fuse or pmount to
mount the remote location into the file system, then this would no
longer be a problem. Mounting sftp is supported by fuse and sshfs, and
samba is supported by the kernel, so this should not be a major
problem. Does anybody else think is a good idea?

--
Trond Danielsen