Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 16 04:06:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 02:47 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> There's some weird stuff going on here, as (hd2) hdc, is the cdwriter,
> and when I ran grub> setup (hd2) the writers light was flickering
> quite a bit, but as you can see from the output above, the bootloader
> installed ok.

I've only ever seen GRUB count hard drives, it skips other devices.  So,
if I had a system set up like with multiple devices, it'd be like this:

Linux device   Type of device   GRUB device
  /dev/hda   |  hard drive    |  hd0
  /dev/hdb   |  CD-ROM        |  (ignored)
  /dev/hdc   |  IDE LS-120    |  fd0
  /dev/hdd   |  hard drive    |  hd1

I do wish they'd get around to letting it boot from CDs.  That'd make
new installs easier for BIOSs that can't boot from a CD, or other things
where you forbid booting from them for security reasons, but allow a
password prompted non-harddrive boot through GRUB.

I read messages from the public lists.