Weired Sound Playback Problem

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 14:26:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am experiencing some strange problem with sound playback in my FC5
box. I didn't experience any problem during  installation and sound
card detection went fine too. The problem is like this:

1) Currently I installed 'xmms' and its mp3 plugin for sound check but
playback is skipping some part of the music every few seconds (few
seconds of music is skipped ahead).

2) Initially I thought the mp3 decoder is the culprit since it is not
supported in fedora. So I tried to play back the 'wave' sound but to
my surprise the playback is still skipping some portion of music.

3) Now I uninstalled the whole thing thinking the xmms for FC5 might
have bug. Installed  'amarok' and installed the 'xine' libraries as
suggested. This time  'amarok' hangs when trying to playback the
sound.

4) So I tried to listen to internet radio (nothing related to mp3) but
'amarok' still hangs when it tries to playback sound.

5) Just to check, i installed the 'mplayer' and necessary plugins &
codecs. Tried playing back movie. Again to my surprise, the movie
playback is ok (i mean sound too) with only small problem that sound
needs to be panned to either left or right for me to hear loud sound
as expected. Putting it in the middle cancels out the left channel and
right channel's sound and I can't hear the sound properly.

6) By the way my sound card is VIA8235 onboard sound card. The
soundcard detection gives me following output:

----------------
Vendor: VIA
Model: Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
Module: snd-via82xx
Default PCM Device: VIA 8235
----------------------------

Now i tried to check sound here but unlike the first boot sound check,
it has problem playing back sound. It plays the sound but it can't
progress and hangs for few seconds, which gives  the illusion of
echoing.

Can this be the driver problem? or sound server problem? I heard that
FC5 can mix several sounds like in windows unlike previous releases of
fedora, can this be the problem?

I know my sound card doesn't have any problem because I am using dual
boot and it works perfectly in windows. And also that prior to
installation of FC5, i had tried the SUSE 10 and amarok there can
playback the mp3 nicely.

Does anybody have this kind of problem? Any Idea, solution, pointers?

Thanks!