Change boot up screen resolution

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 17 06:38:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 21:52 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I seem to recall something like this, and there are two totally
> different things you need to fiddle. The xorg.conf file says what is
> possible, but somewhere else in some mysterious location, there is the
> default resolution.

As far as I was aware, the *default* was the first one on the list.
Typically, the highest resolution (so don't pick a mode that your
monitor can't support when configuring X).

Taking mine as an example:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

I have only the 16 bit modes enabled, and 1280x1024 is the default.  GDM
will use that mode, and so will all users *until* they set a personal
*preference* for their screen resolution.  If they do that, it'll be set
into a file in their homespace, for *their* log-in.  And, I think, if
they log-in remotely to another server, their preferences for that
remote system will be stored in their homespace.

It makes more sense to save that on the local PC, because that's where
the display is, and it might be specific to that box.  Rather than set
it on the remote machine.  You might log into it from several different
PCs, each with different display abilities.

I read messages from the public lists.