Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 17:04:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 15:12 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Well, the way rt is packaged in FE is supposed to be compliant to the
> > > FHS, GCS, the Fedora Packaging Guidelines, and is a valid rt3
> > > configuration without any special tweaks applied.
> > >
> > > If "add-ons" can't cope with it, they are simply bugged.
> >
> > OK, but given a choice between a working program and following
> > today's fashion in file locations, I'll stick to the working
> > version, thank you.
> Well, your fault ... I won't hinder you from your mistakes.

OK, we understand each other then.  Perhaps I'll revisit this
if you decide to provide the full product functionality relocated
to this week's fashionable spot.  Otherwise it's a dead end for me.

> > > This would require to setup a virtual domain and to somehow reflect this
> > > virtual domain to DNS. This is way beyond what any rpm can do and will
> > > always require manual sysadmin intervention.

> > > I strongly doubt this rpm to be functional.
> >
> > It requires a DNS name and configuration in sendmail to
> > accept that name (as does any mail host).
> You seem to be missing that this would require to propagate the virtual
> domain's DNS entry to the DNS server!

As you must for *every* working mail service...  Whatever means you
might use to get your hostname into dns except maybe dynamic dhcp would
likely work to get the second entry you need.  Whether it is worth it
depends on the number of queues you'll have and how often you would
otherwise need to add aliases.

> If your DNS server is local, this isn't much of a problem, if your DNS
> server is configured to carry it, this isn't much of a problem, but if
> your DNS server doesn't yet carry it, there is nothing an rpm can do
> about.

Chicken, meet egg.  If you do have control of DNS, now you have to
round up the helper programs on your own.

> You will have to do it manually - Nothing in FE's rt3 rpm prevents you
> from doing so. It's just that it's impossible to make this work
> out-of-the-box, and therefore it's impossible for rpms to do so.

The RPM can drop the programs in the right place.  Doing so doesn't
break anything even if you don't add the configuration to use them.
And, as a second package you wouldn't install it if you didn't plan
to use it anyway.

> >  If you don't do it this way
> > you have to add pipe-to-program aliases for every queue
> > you create.
> Right,  but .. remember, "many roads lead to Rome" ...

And in this case, they all require local configuration by the
administrator.  That doesn't mean that an RPM to provide the
convenience programs wouldn't help.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com