cp command

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 18 05:38:55 UTC 2006

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi ALL
>
> if i will run following command
>
> cp /home/deep /home/deepak
>
> if deep folder have same 100 files which is under /home/deepak it will
> ask permission for overwrite
>
> i have to enter y 100 times. how can i forcefully over write the files?

Have you heard of the "man" command?  This takes you to the "manual
page" of a given command.

Try it...  "man cp" and then read it.

To your delight, you will find the "-f or --force" parameter.

I'd suggest trying this first before asking questions.  You'll probably
find out more information about a command that you'd didn't think
possible.  :-)

For example....you may even notice the "-a" parameter that is the same
as "-dpR" and that may come in handy from time to time.