How to connect remotely to GDM?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 09:35:25 UTC 2006

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a windows host running FC5 on VMWare. I'd like to connect to
> GDM via XDMCP. The following steps have been done:
>
>  - Switched off iptables
>  - Enabled remote login in gdmsetup
>
> On the Windows host I have an installed CygWin/X. No, when I enter
>
>  xwin.exe -query 192.168.1.129
>
> (which is the VMWare guests IP address), I can see the following in
> Ethereal:
>
>    XDMCP Query
>    XDMCP Willing
>    XDMCP Request
>    XDMCP Accept
>    XDMCP Manage
>
> So far anything looks good. But after that point, nothing happens,
> except that the XDMCP MANAGE packet is repeated over and over again.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
>
> Jochen

Are you running a Windows firewall? I can't offhand remember which ports XDM and
X require in order to work correctly. Certainly 6000 in order to contact display
:0 on the PC, or 6001 for :1 etc. I have a nagging recollection that there is
another port involved with XDMCP but I can't remember which. What traffic is
XDMCP sending back to the PC? IIRC it needs to initiate a new connection on a
specific port.

Setting up freenx/nx and the NX client is much simpler, and will provide you
with a much better environment. We have pretty much abandoned Exceed in favour
of NX.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555