atrpms kernel modules

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 18 13:41:02 UTC 2006

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> 	Ok...  I didn't want to post the "full" example because it's pretty
> big.  So, I freshened things up a bit to make sure all packages are
> correctly up to date and reran.  Forgive the length.
>
> 	First is a simple run with yum update
>
> [root at mtking ~]# yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> livna                                                                [1/4]
> updates                                                              [2/4]
> core                                                                 [3/4]
> extras                                                               [4/4]
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>
> 	You will noticed that there are only 4 repos.  Livna, Updates, Core,
> and Extras.
>
> 	Now...  I'll simply enable ATrpms and nothing else and rerun that same
> update (all the packages from ATrpms I have installed on this system are
> up to date, so this should, in theory, result in the same thing)...
>
> [root at mtking ~]# yum --enablerepo=atrpms update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> atrpms                                                               [1/5]
> livna                                                                [2/5]
> updates                                                              [3/5]
> core                                                                 [4/5]
> extras                                                               [5/5]
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package lm_sensors.i386 0:2.10.0-43.rhfc5.at set to be updated
> ---> Package libsndfile.i386 0:1.0.16-8.fc5.at set to be updated

(lots of output snipped)

> 	Ok...  The only difference is that I enabled ATrpms.  I don't know what
> it's trying to install, but the list at the very beginning is NOT very
> encouraging.  It looks like it's trying to update a bunch of sound and
> multimedia packages that I think originally came from Livna (hence my
> earlier comment about Livna and ATrpms not cooperating)!  None of those
> packages that are selected to be "updated" to a .at rpm came from ATrpms
> originally.
>
> 	This is all I have installed from ATrpms:
>
> [root at mtking ~]# rpm -qa | grep '\.at$'
> spandsp-devel-0.0.2-3_pre26.rhfc5.at
> zaptel-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
> mythtv-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
> libpri-devel-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
> zaptel-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
> libpri1-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
> mythtv-backend-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
> asterisk-1.2.10-26.fc5.at
> mythtv-frontend-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
> spandsp-0.0.2-3_pre26.rhfc5.at
> libpri-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
> asterisk-sounds-1.2.1-7.at
> mythtv-themes-0.19-128.rhfc5.at
> zaptel-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
> zaptel-devel-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
> libmyth-0.19-128.rhfc5.at
> mythtv-setup-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
> asterisk-devel-1.2.10-26.fc5.at
>
> 	None of that shows up in the original "to be updated" pile before the
> first transaction check.

Neither yum nor rpm know which packages you want to get from which repo
unless you explictly tell them. The big list of packages you get are
packages (or their dependencies) that you already have on your system
(from some repo other than ATrpms) that have "later" versions in ATrpms.
Since you told yum that you wanted to update all of the packages on your
system to the latest versions, and to get packages from ATrpms, it tried
to do what it was told and you got the big list.

If you don't want that to happen, you could use an "includepkgs" entry
in your ATrpms repo file to list only those packages you want to pull
from ATrpms.

Paul.