Fetchmail Complaining

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 04:40:36 UTC 2006

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 18Jul2006 23:46, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
> | Fetchmail on my machine is complaining that it can't read my .procmailrc file
> | in my home directory that is used for mail filtering.
> | What I am getting in my fetchmail log is:
> | procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/home/lmcilwain/.procmailrc"
> | procmail: Couldn't read "/home/lmcilwain/.procmailrc"
>
> It would be nicer if it said "refusing to read"...
>
> | Nothing has changed with this file in months and all of a sudden it just
> | stopped working.
> | Here are the permissions on my .procmailrc file:
> | -rw-r--r-- 1 lmcilwai lmcilwai 1484 18 Jul 23:34 .procmailrc
>
> Is your home directory group or world writeable?

Well I lied, My home directory turned out to be world writeable...  This
is something I must have done by mistake as I was trying to work on
sharing a folder via smb and getting complaints about not having
permission to access the folder.

I reset the permission as best as possible and got fetchmail working again.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.