unable to su - to root or to any user on FC3 (solved)point going to

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:25:20 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 11:25 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 15:51 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > But why the blazes would anyone want to run: su -
> > > when they are already root in init level 1?
> >
> > To avoid having to chown all the files they create while fixing up a
> > problem?  To have ~ as a shortcut to their own space?
> >
> That is interesting but :
> 1. My memory is that the original poster was complaining that he could
> not do su not su username.

In init level 1 i was able to su - to any username but when I from
root to username I was not able to issue the command su - because on
su setuid was not set.

I don't know whether in init level 1 a user can become superuser  even
though only root/superuser can login in.
means root -> user -> root

> 2. At that point going to init level 3 or 5 would be more productive.
> --

 I have disabled access for direct root login means no terminal or
virtual consoles for root. This particular server of my mine is
accessible from outside and I don't want to give hackers any chance.

I was not able to become root in init 3 or 5 because setuid was not
set on su so I booted into the init level 1 and became a user and
tried to become root again.

Now the problem is over.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover