Playing MIDIs?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Jul 19 19:17:19 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 20:33, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 12:19 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >     Here's a flurry of questions related to sound.  Hopefully someone
> > can help me figure it out.  I have an FC5 machine with an SB Live! in
> > it  'lspci' lists it as "Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)".
>
> On an SB Live! the soundbanks are initially empty. To hear something
> from the internal synthesizer you have to load some soundfonts using
> the sfxload/asfxload command. Google for "8MBGMGS.SF2".
> --
> Gérard Milmeister
> Langackerstrasse 49
> CH-8057 Zürich

A little addition is that you need the package "awesfx" installed, so as to be
able to use sfxload (the OSS version), or asfxload (the Alsa version) to load
the soundfonts. If you have the CDROM for the sblive, you should have the
soundfonts on that. Mine for my Audigy2 soundblaster are
in. /audio/common/SFBANK/CT4MGM.SF2.

Kmid is not perfect, but works most of the time.

Nigel.