tg3 networking issue

Julian C. Dunn jdunn at devlin.ca
Wed Jul 19 21:45:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 17:35 +0200, Patrick wrote:

> I recently updated to kernel 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 on my FC5 laptop. Not
> sure if it's related but now networking stops working intermittently.
> The driver used is tg3 for a Broadcom  BCM5789 nic. In /var/log/messages
> I see:
>
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> tg3: eth0: transmit timed out, resetting
> tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=2c00 enable_bit=2
> tg3: eth0: Link is down.
> tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
> tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

I have never had much luck with the Broadcom chipset and the tg3 driver.
Back when I was working at CBC.ca we had many problems on our
HP-DL380G4's, to the extent that I wrote a report about it, which I
summarized on my blog:

http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/journal/?p=56

Eventually we ended up buying dual port Intel EtherExpress NICs to
workaround the problem.

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn, P.Eng.