[OT] TOP-POSTING

Michael P. Brininstool mikepb at hoplite.org
Wed Jul 19 23:33:51 UTC 2006

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Norm wrote:
>
>> I have been cross trained in several different career paths.  Each
>> career area has its own peculiarities and attracts very different
>> types of people. The IT world seems to attract types that can not
>> accept someone else may have different way of doing things.
>
> no, what we find it hard to accept is people doing things in a
> demonstrably *inferior* way that forces the rest of us to have to
> accommodate them.  top-posting is not simply a different way of doing
> things, it is a *worse* way of doing things.  deal with it.

Demonstrably inferior way?  BS!  No one has been able to convince me
that top posting is not superior and faster.  Been hearing complaints
about top-posting for 21+ years, and STILL don't see the problem with
it.  Norm is correct, you are just intolerant.

>> And the intolerance and abuse that is often displayed when someone
>> has a different way of accomplishing the same objective astounds me.
>
> with all due respect, you're full of it.  it's well-established
> history that, when someone top posts, they're normally reminded quite
> politely that that's kind of frowned upon and would they please not do
> that.  most of the time, the reaction is, "oh, i'm sorry, i won't do
> it again," at which point life goes on and we all get back to work,
> fine-tuning our plans for world domination.

Actually, I will continue to do it when replying to a message as a whole
rather than interspersing comments point-by-point, because it is faster
to read, easier to do and more efficient to post and read.

> occasionally (and sadly), one encounters a complete butthead whose
> attitude is, "yeah, well i *like* top-posting and that's how i'm gonna
> do it and the rest of you can just live with it, so there!!"  *those*
> are the people who get roasted, so you can drop that sanctimonious
> attitude of yours, norm.

By definition your attitude is sanctimonious.  Just letting it be would
save so much bandwidth and blood pressure medicine on your part.

>> I know I can follow most threads whether the individual postings are
>> top bottom or even interspersed through the original posting. Norm
>
> good for you.  and since all of those techniques would seem to be
> equally effective for you, you can just humour us and do it *our* way.
> then everybody's happy.

I actually find top-posting faster to find, easier to read, and more
efficient, so I will not do it *your way* unless I feel like it at the time.

P.S. I did trim quotes that were not needed.

Robert, are you just bored?

- --
Michael P. Brininstool