Mozilla Suite to Seamonkey transition?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 01:42:59 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me how seemless the Mozilla Suite to Seamonkey
>>> transition is (in FC5 if that makes a difference). I have been using
>>> Mozilla Suite for years now, but the crashes are becoming annoying. I
>>> have numerous bookmarks, history, email, and a theme that I want from
>>> the suite. Is it jsut as simple as yum install seamonkey?
>>
>> Seamonkey keeps the same profiles for mail, bookmarks as does mozilla.
>> Both programs can be installed at the same time. You cannot run both
>> at the same time though.
>>
>> You need to keep mozilla around for programs like yelp and openoffice
>> mailing features. Seamonkey hould work for everything else that I use
>> anyway.
>>

>>> And what of the mplayer-plugin (which currently serves as my embedded
>>> media player)
>>
>> I'm not sure about the embedded elements working. If it does not work
>> for seamonkey, you still have mozilla installed. You could close
>> seamonkey and then launch mozilla for those features.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

> I even removed the mozilla binary from /usr/bin/ and linked
> /usr/bin/seamonkey to it. Everything works now just as if I were running
> mozilla 1.8 (which is what seamonkey really is;check the about:)

I'm getting SeaMonkey 1.0.2

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060607
Fedora/1.0.2-1.fc6 SeaMonkey/1.0.2

THe only problem that I encountered with seamonkey vs. mozilla was
trying to install the stand-alone calendar mozilla had for a version. I
never use it. I just installed the calendar to see what it could do.

After saving the draft in seamonkey mail. Opening it up again using
mozilla mail. I get the below version information in the about.

There is no inline spellchecker in mozilla mail. The typos are probably
higher in the later part of this mail. The spellchecker in-line are
enough to use seamonkey vs. mozilla. The dead or slowed down care for
mozilla itself are enough to use seamonkey over mozilla.

Mozilla 1.7.13
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060501
Fedora/1.7.13-1.1.fc5

Jim

--
Some people live life in the fast lane.  You're in oncoming traffic.