fax2tiff/tiff2pdf image "squish"

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 06:37:55 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I am using fax2tiff and tiff2pdf to convert incoming faxes to pdf files
> for
> viewing and printing
>
> My command lines are as follows:
>
> fax2tiff -M -o filename.tiff filename.fax
> tiff2pdf -pletter -ofilename.pdf filename.tiff
>
> This seems to work fine for faxes that are less than a full letter-size
> page.
> But full-page faxes come out looking squished vertically, like every
> second
> horizontal line is missing or something.
>
> I suspect that I am missing a magic command line switch for either
> fax2tiff or
> tiff2pdf.
>
> --
> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net
>
> --

Hi Frank!

Ok, first the truth, no phone line or fax where I live.  Once in a while I
find them useful but e-mail gets me there 99% of the time.

I do have interest there for the 1% however and conversion problems seem to
facinate me.

I would be interested what Open Office Org reader does if you try to open a
fax file with it?  Please let me know if you try.

Other than that google yeilds:

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=efix%2Fefax&section=projects

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=G3+fax+to+pdf&section=projects

 My guess is that conversion to a picture format (tiff) has trouble "getting
it all in there" when the document is long.  Better to use a viewer if
possible espically if you can print directly from it (xfax above).

I hope this is helpful!

Good hunting!

Tod