mount & umount in FC5

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 10:00:19 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Przemyslaw Gawronski <pgg at tanren.pl> wrote:

> > We could use some more information here:
>
> > What specifically are you mounting and unmounting?
>
> Mainly cd/dvd
>
> > What is in /etc/fstab?
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1
> 1
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
> 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
> 0
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> LABEL=/mnt/gentoo       /mnt/gentoo             ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> LABEL=/mnt/ubuntu       /mnt/ubuntu             ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0
> 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0
> 0
> /dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0
> 0
>
> > My first guess is that we will find the answer with the above
> information
> > supplied.  You might also want to look into udev (man udev - & google).
>
> Yes, I think so I'll need some googling :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Przemek
> --
> AIKIDO TANREN DOJO  -  Poland - Warsaw - Mokotow - Ursynow - Natolin
> info: http://www.tanren.pl/ phone: +48506613147 email: dojo at tanren.pl
>
> --

Hi *Przemyslaw*!

Ok, here is an fstab from one of my Ubuntu manchines (my FC5 machine is hard
to reach at this time):

tod at tod-desktop:/etc$ cat fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Note the last item!  You might try adding a line to your fstab similar to
the one above.

If that does not work look at "man udev" and google udev and automount
(which I believe is depreciated in FC5).  I do know that my CDs automount
and appear as icons on my desktop with the contents available at
/media/cdrom0 (or /media/cdrom by a link in /media).

Good Hunting!

Tod