Running LVM to repartition HD question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 21 16:40:25 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:
>> Unmount /tmp and remove/comment out the fstab entry for it. Reboot.
>> Your
>> system should come up OK with /tmp on the root filesystem (the /tmp
>> directory already exists).
>
> If I understand your advice correctly /tmp will be automatically
> created on / (LogVol00) during reboot.

Not quite. When you had /tmp as a separate partition, it was mounted on
top of an already-existing directory in the root filesystem. So you'll
now be using that already-existing directory as your /tmp.

As Roberto pointed out, it's wise to ensure that the permissions are
correct on this directory:

# chmod 1777 /tmp

Also make sure the SELinux context is correct:

# restorecon -v /tmp

>> Once you're happy that that's working, you can delete LogVol02 from
>> your
>> volume group:
>
> I'll not delete LogVol02 and will use it to install 2nd Linux OS.  Also
> I'll create a 5G partition on raw partition as its /home
>
> /boot will be shared by 2 OS.  This partition can be detected by grub
> because not on VolGroup00

It's usually OK to share /boot between two different OS releases, but
you may have problems if you share it between two instances of the same
release, as there may be files of the same name from each installation.
So if you upgrade your kernel in one instance, it may delete the kernel
being used by the other instance.

Paul.