printconf issue

Tom Weston dad712 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 18:11:27 UTC 2006

I'm running FC5 and have gotten a Samsung ML-2250 laser printer. It prints
pretty well with the driver that printconf installs automatically. However I
much prefer the printing with the driver that is available from the Samsung
web site (it's runs faster, the margins are exactly right, and images are
clearer). The Samsung driver is installed by a wizard that comes with the
download.

The problem is that after I've installed the printer with the Samsung
wizard, printconf doesn't recognize it and installs it again (with the
suboptimal driver)! So how can I do one the following:
(a) Tell printconf to stop trying to autoinstall "new" printers.
- or -
(b) Prevent cupsd (and whatever other daemons/scripts are invoking
printconf) from running printconf at all.
- or -
(c) get printconf-gui to show the Samsung suppled driver in its drop down
box (then I could install the printer with printconf using the good driver).