Sony digital camera

Bruno Costacurta cob1 at biz.tiscali.be
Mon Jul 24 18:24:05 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 21:45, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bruno Costacurta writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering buying a Sony digital camera (precisely a model
> > Cybershot) and would like to receive your experiences or problems, and
> > also useful programs about its connectivity to Fedora via USB.
>
> My two recent Sony consumer-level cameras worked fine, no software
> required. Plug it into a USB slot, and it'll come up as a removable
> hardware.  Open the hard drive up, and open the 'dcim' folder to find your
> pictures, as ordinary .jpg files.
>
> Some notes:
>
> 1)  After copying the jpg files off the camera, open them in Gimp then save
> them.  This will reduce the file size by at least half, without any loss in
> picture quality
>
> 2)  Do not just unplug the camera.  Right click on the camera's icon and
> select "Eject".  When the icon disappears, then unplug it.
>
> 3)  Do not delete image files on the camera using Fedora.  Only use the
> camera itself to delete the image files.  It looks like Sony cameras track
> available free space on memory sticks in a separate file, and if you keep
> deleting the files yourself eventually the camera will think the memory
> stick is full, when it's not.  The only remedy will be to reformat the
> memory stick.

Hello,

as I just bougth my Sony camera following your advices, this email to confirm
the easy connection of the camera (model Cybershot) via USB : once PTP
protocol is selected everything runs smoothly under KDE application called
digikam.

Thanks to persons who replied to this thread message.

Bye,
Bruno