Cannot use neither rpm nor yum. Error message

David Desscan ddesscan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 09:52:26 UTC 2006

Thanks Sam Varshavchik for your help.  First of all, this testosterone-laded
ubergeek as you said is a well known router expert, Michael J Martin.  He
wrote several in depth tutorials on routing and switching for
searchnetworking.techtarget.com.  I am working on one of his projects;
Building a WLAN proxy server.  Now I am not saying that he is wrong.  I
would rather take this responsibility on myself and say that my experience
in Linux is nothing compared to him. It's true that I have very little
experience in compiling and installing software(I've done Kernel several
time). There are a lot of people who compile and install their software and
that does not mean it's a wrong practice or they all had problems.
You are right however when you said I did not understand what was broken at
the fundamental level. I did not understand why libssl.so.5 was that
important. Now I know why it's important for the utilities I mentioned.

 I have seen from my google search that other people with Fedora Core 5 also
have this error message.  The question is whether openssl-0.9.8 is installed
with FC5 and if it's not this libssl.a file the real problem.  What if I
don't choose openssl from my initial installation? Will there be any
encryption available with Yum, rpm, wget, etc.?  Thanks anyway for your
precious time.

Thanks Cameron.  Yes I probably made a mistake by using --prefix /usr.  I
have taken note and if I compile things again I'll use the directories you
mentioned.

Thanks Paul for your help.  I realize now that I used rpm -e --nodeps
blindly.  This option avoids dependency check. Rpm has been smarter than me
,-)

Cheers

David