Burning backup to dvd

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jul 26 16:24:21 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:56, Ed Kim wrote:
>

>>> try these commands
>>>
>>> mkisofs -o /Backup/mybackup.iso -R -J -l -v /path/to/data/directory/
>>>

>That worked perfectly.
>

>>> cdrecord -v -sao dev=cdrom -data /Backup/mybackup.iso
>>>

>This still chokes:

>cdrecord: Found DVD media: using cdr_mdvd.
>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
>Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>Supported modes: PACKET SAO
>Drive buf size : 1563904 = 1527 KB
>FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
>Track 01: data  1714 MB
>Total size:     1968 MB (195:02.81) = 877711 sectors
>Lout start:     1969 MB (195:04/61) = 877711 sectors
>Current Secsize: 2048
>  ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
>Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)
>Manuf. index: -1
>Manufacturer: unknown (not in table)
>Blocks total: 15872 Blocks current: 15872 Blocks remaining: -861839
>cdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
>cdrecord: Notice: Most recorders cannot write CD's >= 90 minutes.
>cdrecord: Notice: Use -ignsize option to allow >= 90 minutes.
>cdrecord: Notice: Use -overburn option to write more than the official disk
>capacity.
>cdrecord: Notice: Most CD-writers do overburning only on SAO or RAW mode.
>******
>
>>From the man page:
>
> -ignsize
>              Ignore  the known size of the medium. This option should be used
>              with extreme care, it exists only for debugging  purposes  don’t
>              use  it for other reasons.  It is not needed to write disks with
>              more than the nominal capacity.  This option implies  -overburn.
>
>so it doesn't sound as though that would be the solution.
>
>In order to rule out some of the possible causes I did try to write a
>straightforward data dvd backup in k3b - something I do regularly on this
>workstation.  Both boxes have the same version of cdrecord.  On the box that
>I'm trying to backup I cannot get a dvd backup.  On this one there is no
>problem.  On the problematic one I keep seeing references to pread642(2)
>
>Anne

Dumb suggestion but my box with a dvdwriter has a separate entry in /dev
for the dvdwriter:

[dave at fubar ~]# \ls /dev/d*
/dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 /dev/dvd /dev/dvdwriter

instead of the cdwriter:

[dave at fubar ~]# \ls /dev/c*
/dev/cdrom /dev/cdwriter /dev/console /dev/core /dev/cpu0

Have you tried dev=dvdwriter?

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce