Anyone got an FTP install to work?[Scanned]

Chris Bradford chrisbradford at cambridge-news.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 07:11:47 UTC 2006

Reg Clemens wrote:
> Has anyone got a FTP install to work with Fedora5?
>
> I seem to have two problems
>
>     (1) First, instead of passing the top level directory to the FTP
> install, I have to pass the directory with the RPMS in it.  This places
> the core directory and the RELEASE-NOTES above it in the dir
> tree, which doesnt seem right.  But its the only way to get it to
> stop complaining about not being able to get to repodata/repomd.xml .
>
>     (2) At this point I can get a few screens further, but as soon as I
> give the install program the root pasword and hit return, I get a message
> saying "Unexpected interrupt" and that this is probably a programming
> error (sigh).
>
> So I repeat my question from above.
>
>     Has ANYONE got this thing working?
>
> And what did you have todo to make it work...
>
> I may give HTML rather than FTP a shot tomorrow, but it would be
> REALLY NICE if somewhere they told you exactally what directory
> this thing actually wanted to have past to it...

I use an FTP server to install all of our FC5 clients.

I simply copied the DVD image to a FC5 box with vsftp configured on it.

Created a user called kickstart (as the ftp server is used as part of a
kickstart install)

I then put the contents of the FC5 DVD into the home directory of the
kickstart user.

My kickstart file then contains this line which tells it to use the ftp
server:

url --url=ftp://kickstart:kickstart@10.0.35.100/Fedora

The directory Fedora is the folder in which I put the root of the DVD.

This also works perfectly when I boot from the first CD / or DVD using
'*linux askmethod*' and then select FTP with authentication.

-Chris