magic sysrq via minicom during serial install?

Matthew Miller mattdm at
Fri Jul 28 15:27:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 05:38:25PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I plugged in a null-modem serial cable and am able to happily able to do a
> serial install. Theoretically, one sends "BREAK-t" to do the equivalent of
> alt-sysrq-t at a vt, but doesn't seem to have any effect -- the break seems
> to hang the connection, and then I get nuthin'. What I am I doing wrong?

To answer my own question -- turns out I needed to hit sysrq on the keyboard
actually plugged into the machine -- that didn't get redirected to the
serial console.

Matthew Miller           mattdm at          <>
Boston University Linux      ------>              <>