Get postgres to accept network connections

Mark Haney mhaney at
Fri Jul 28 15:54:40 UTC 2006

David J. Vernon wrote:
> On Friday 28 July 2006 11:21, Mark Haney wrote:
>> gpgkeys: key 6108677D1B5CD002 not found on keyserver
>> How do I get postgresql to accept network TCP/IP connections in FC5?
>> There's no postmaster.conf file and no option for that in the
>> postgresql.conf.
> Any chance you have an iptables rule set enabled? Try connecting again after
> doing 'service iptables stop'. You can also see what addresses and ports your
> system is listening on by doing 'netstat -tul'
> Dave
> pgp(gpg) 0x2BFEBF88
That's not it, I'm afraid. I have IPtables off on that box since it's
behind a firewall.  Here's what I see from a SUSE 9.1 box with
postgresql installed from source:

tcp        0      0  *  LISTEN
tcp        0      0 :::5432                 :::*    LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     1779688
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 LISTEN

And this is what I see with FC5:

tcp        0      0*   LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     986518 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

I don't understand.

- --
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415