Samba smb.conf not resolved.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 29 19:50:26 UTC 2006

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> force user = hbrhodes klrhodes kelli
>
> If you are going to do this, there should be a single user. Do note that
> forcing a user should not be necessary (you have all three as full accounts
> on the machine, or so it seems).
>
> If you posted the results of an un-smb encumbered write by the users you
> want accessing the dir I missed it (as soon as your other thread went into
> the weeds, I'm sure I wasn't alone in abandoning it). Given the directory
> permissions you have it seems unlikely all users would be able to write
> there currently. Setting o+rwx would only help if the user/group access
> isn't blocking you.
>
> If you cannot write to the directory as each user, smb excluded, then (apart
> from things like force user), you won't be able to write there with smb.

Where "force user = <user>" is handy is when you have a directory
owned by <user>, and you want anyone on the write list for the share
to be able to do anything to files on the share. That way, klrhodes
could delete a file in the share that hbrodes created. It will also
let all three users on the write list edit any file created in that
share.

A lot of editors write a new file when saving, delete the old file,
and rename the new file, so you need to be able to delete the
original file to write to it.  This is why the user Samba is using
to access the share must have write access to the directories in the
share. Under Linux, it is possible to have write access to a file,
and not be able to rename or delete it. Another thing to keep in
mind when setting permissions is that even if a directory is world
writable, if it is not group writable, and you are a member of the
group that owns the directory, you can not create/delete files in
that directory.

What you may want to do with the R2314 share is make the /misc/R2314
share owned by user samba, (chown samba:sambe /misc/R2314) and then
set the share to:

[R2314]
comment = HodgePodge of Data
path = /misc/R2314/
force user = samba
force group = samba
read only = No

Once that is working, then you can fine tune it to do exactly what
you want. If it doesn't work, take a look in /var/log/messages for
messages about permission denied for that directory - you may have
to change SELinux settings. But it usualy works better to take
things one step at a time.

Mikkel