fc5 install

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Sun Jul 30 17:59:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:36:46 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

> I'm about to install FC5, and I was wondering if there are any issues that
> I should know about before I start. Such as having to type garbage at the
> FC4 install boot prompt (remember that?). Thanks!

Installation went smooth, allright. I just didn't know about the 700Mb
updates following the installation. I wish there were updated iso images
available, for use instead of the original release. I think in cases of
massive updates like this, a re-release should be in order.

As far as I can tell, just about all initial quirks got fixed after the
upgrade (mplayer and vnc problems, some small gnome problems, some sound
problems), and I'm pretty happy so far. Beagle is pretty good, and I'm
glad to see the automounter is able to see on its own the partitions
exported by my (other) nfs server (as it did in FC4).

One thing remaining is totem. Much as I tried to give it a chance (I've
been using mplayer for just about anything, and vlc more and more lately),
I can't get totem to play dvds. I did install gstreamer-extra*, and
that got it to play audio cds - of all things - but even that wasn't very
good. The menu entries are obviously designed for playing video, not
audio, and if you open any menu during cd playback, the main totem window
doesn't get updated - the menus remain open.

One last thing, I put "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" for
masquerading, in my /etc/rc.local, but after a reboot, that line is gone.
Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks!