Permission denied during rpm installation

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 03:48:06 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Deepak Shrestha <d88pak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fair enough, but note that it was only the NTFS kernel module I was
> > suggesting to remove and reinstall, not the whole kernel and other
> > modules.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> now rpm querry to kernel-module-ntfs (full rpm name) says its not installed.
>
> $ rpm -q kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5-2.1.27-0.rr.10.5.i686.rpm
>
> gives me:
>
> kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5-2.1.27-0.rr.10.5.i686.rpm not installed
>
> what this means now? I had NTFS volume mount point in my fstab and its
> working perfectly now. I am bit confused here.

You have to use rpm -q with the package name, not the RPM file name
(note the .rpm on the end of your command).  This tends to be a
somewhat common mistake and can be quite perplexing :).  Anyway, try
this:
$ rpm -q kernel-module-ntfs

or, if that doesn't work:
$ rpm -qa | grep -i ntfs

should certainly find it.
I second the suggestion by Jeff that you try the Livna package
instead.  You should also learn about yum, which will let you install
from Livna (once setup) with a simple "yum install kmod-ntfs" command
(as root).  Hope this helps.

Jonathan